The one question you should ask…
A Key Question
Are you at a cross-roads and wondering about the direction to take?
Are you faced with a difficult decision that will determine your future, your life story?
Are you trying to turn your dream career into real career?
According to an interview with Dan Sullivan in Success magazine, there is one key question that you can ask that will help you set and accomplish your goal. Here it is:
If we were to sit down together three years from now, what would have to be in place for you to feel happy and productive about where you are in life?
You can answer this question about any aspect of your life, but lets limit it to your work. When I work with clients, I also like to downsize the time frame to make it more manageable, so lets think about where you would like to be with your business or career in one year. Here are some additional questions to make it even more specific:
- What work would you be doing? Be descriptive.
- Describe who you would be working with. Describe the ideal client or person that you would best be able to serve.
- Describe the meaning or message of the work that you would be doing.
- Describe what gifts you bring to the work
- Describe the challenges that you might have.
- Describe the environment that you would be working in.
- Describe the impact your work would have on the world around you.
- How much money would you be making?
- What team members would you need to assist you?
- Describe a typical day in your work.
Now the next step: Working backward from the career or business that you just envisioned, begin to list the steps that you would need to take to arrive at the ideal career in one year.
Again be specific. For example:
Open a business account
Create a business name and logo
Create a website
Develop a client profile
Print business cards
Join a business association and networking groups
Develop an email list.
Create a monthly newsletter
You get the idea. Now, begin to categorize the steps into a logical order. What will you do first? What can wait until later? Create a monthly plan.
Finally, have some fun with the process. Set an intention and write it on a large poster board. Create a vision board around the intention with lots of pictures and words that describe where you want to be in one year.
Now it’s your turn.
Where would you like to be in one year?
What intention will you set?