Overcoming Overwhelm: 5 Practical Steps to Peaceful Productivity
Can’t find the report that your boss wanted you to review?
Spent the last 45 minutes looking for an email in your saved emails… and still can’t find the link you need?
Thought you’d make headway on the project today but spent your time putting fires out instead?
We’ve all done it right? That’s why the second most common goggle search for New Year’s goals is “Get Organized” at 33 million searches. Seriously.
What if instead of making organization a goal… you established some habits that would guarantee you’d start the year, the week, heck, every day off organized and peacefully productive?
When I advise clients on overcoming overwhelm and creating the kind of productive day they dream of, I suggest that they create bookends for their workday. This means establishing habits that begin and end the day so that they maintain control of their time and avoid being sucked into someone else’s agenda. Here are my best tips for beginning and ending each day:
- Take the time to set a daily focus and priorities—the best thing you can do is to start every day by reviewing your focus for the day and your to-do-list. Yes, this needs to happen before you check your email, check Facebook, check your text messages or any other black hole of communication that pulls you in and sacrifices your time. When you start the day by focusing on your goals and not someone else’s you are creating and following your own agenda. This is key to staying in control and staying organized.
- Take the time to create a daily time plan on your calendar-This involves reviewing any appointments or obligations that you have. Next fill in the time slots around your appointments with the tasks that you have designated as priority for the day. Every working hour needs to have plan. Begin with the most pressing and the tasks that take the most focus and energy first. Set aside a specific time to return phone calls and answer emails then stick to it. Turn off the constant reminders on your phone/computer of incoming messages.
- Be realistic-Allow some time for breaks and transition. For the most part, people work best with intense focus periods of 1 ½ hours with a small break in between. Keep moving-stand up or walk around to work when possible. Plan healthy snacks to keep your energy level high.
- Finish your day with a review-At the end of your day, prepare for the next day by:
- Listing the tasks that are incomplete and that you want to carry over to the next day
- Organizing and filing away items on your desk top
- Reviewing your calendar for the next day and preparing any items that you will need to start the day off effectively
- Leaving yourself a note of any reminders that you want to follow up on
- Learn to leave your work at work-More than in any other generation, we carry our work with us. Text messages, emails, cell phones all keep us in constant contact with our working world. Set a time when you are off work and stick to it. A coach that I once had told me at the end of my designated work day to say, “Now it’s time for ____________.” Fill in the blank with what you want to schedule your off time for; family time, relaxation time, social time with friends. Stay in control and stick to your planned routine.
Ready to Build Your Business?
Starting February 1st, I’m opening the doors to Build Your Business, which is designed to help you build business success by attracting more clients, making more money and creating more freedom through structure and support. Here’s what you get in the program:
Five Modules delivered to your inbox on-
Becoming a Prosperous Entrepreneur (why the entrepreneurial mindset is unique)
Identifying Your Ideal Client (figuring out who you serve and why)
Attracting your Ideal Client (figuring out where to find them and how to get them on your side)
Creating Your Client System (setting up smooth stress free programs)
Breaking out of Limiting Mindsets (developing and sustaining the confidence you need)
In addition, you will receive two personal coaching calls with me, so you can tailor the strategies to your unique business.
The deadline to sign up is January 27th and (here’s the really cool part) you can begin the program whenever you are ready…
Are you in? Just want more info first? Either way, email me at:
email@example.com and I’ll get you all the details.
I was at a turning point in my business in deciding which direction to go. I needed some focus and inspiration. Fortunately I was connected with Lynne Watts and Dream Achiever Coaching. Through a few individual coaching sessions and her informative videos I learned how to change my mindset about “selling” and promoting my business. I also gained clarity on direction and uncovered a business model that would work best with my current phase of life. I now have greater clarity to move forward in 2017 and have already landed my first client of the year! Lynne is positive, encouraging, and is great at helping you find the clarity and inspiration you need to move to the next level! I highly recommend Lynne’s coaching packages!
~Sandra Abdalian www.leanyourworld.com